When you enter a supermarket with the purpose of say buying toothpaste, you don’t just walk in straight and pick one. You stroll around holding one after another in your hand deciding which one to buy. How many times have you been driven to a product because of its attractive packaging? Do you have the urge to stick to a product because you have seen its advertisement on TV or just because its name is as popular as the co-ambassador of the product? That’s where Branding Concepts comes into action.
Consumers Do not Buy Products, they Buy Benefits
A company’s brand is not just its logo. The brand is the vision of the company. It is everything right from its name, identity, packaging, premium it charges, loyalty, trust, faith and value that it is ought to deliver. A brand concept differentiates the product from other similar products and caters brand value by delivering value services. A brand is just like a human being. It has a name, identity, personality, vision, culture, and emotions that are being nourished and brought up by the company.
There are myriad brands and products out there but not all are successful as some of them. So before creating a brand, some very important questions that we need to answer are:
- Who precisely are you trying to reach?
- What change are you trying to make?
A product should either cater to the existing demand in the market or create its own demand in the market.
Market analysis results in the generation of attributes and concept development for the product, on which we can work to create a genesis of our BRAND. Let’s look at some of the factors that are essential for a Brand
Attributes and Concept for the Product
- Brand name: It should speak of the product’s benefits/quality, it should be simple and easy to pronounce.
Like Dove: it’s superficially a simple word which symbolizes gentleness, purity, and softness – and that’s what women want when it comes to hair and skin.
- Brand logo: is the visual identity and its design, typography, Color, and layout should be captivating enough to embark leave a lasting impression on the mind of our consumer.
Like Ray ban: Their logo in the 1950s had a woman’s face with glares and red lips in focus but their logo in 2015 was engulfed with a western-cultured fashion sense.
- Tagline: Taglines make the company’s message crystal clear in explicit terms and differentiate your brand by imparting a positive feeling about the product.
Like the McDonalds’ tagline – “I’m lovin’ it” is as alluring as its food product itself
- Packaging: Your product’s design acts as a silent ambassador of your brand. Packaging and designing should be engrossing in a way that it persuades the consumer to buy your stuff.
- Marketing of your Brand: Marketing begins even before the product itself is created. Now, we don’t have to find customers for our product, but products for our customers.
Think like a customer and remember that everyone is not our customer and that’s why we need to run an STP (Segmentation, Targeting, Positioning) analysis.
While positioning the product, know that “creativity without strategy is art and creativity with strategy is advertisement”
The strategic advertisement is the path to feature your brand through offline and online mode and to build relationships besides creating a long lasting impression on the consumer.
Like Flipkart features kids acting over adults’ voice in their commercial in various ad- campaigns.
Quality and service:
-Pay heed on customer service; make sure that you deliver a quality that makes consumers happy and satisfied in a way that they would want to come back again.
-Choose the right way to communicate brand benefit, value, and promise- both rational and emotional
The essence of the brand should create an experience that pre-dates memory. It is within our minds that brands live.
Branding concepts in India
- There has been a significant change in the Indian companies with respect to their understanding and adoption of branding as a publicity tool.
- The importance of branding as a competitive tool has increased over time along with the hike in the intensity of competition in every industry because of which brand needs to fight for attention in order to survive.
- Unlike the companies in the west that go through previous campaigns before designing a plan, Indian companies do not have many examples to follow for which they need the expertise to take branding as a primary competitive strategy.
- Branding is not as easy as 8 letter word. It is an opportunity and niche area of operation. One cannot take chances with hit and miss strategy with branding and hence the emerging tactics of branding like digital media marketing have gained significant focus.
- In India awareness- trial- repurchase method for digital marketing of a brand is still considered as best to reach huge masses which is not much adaptable with foreign companies.
To make your brand a success you need to work on its reach to Which Digital Marketing is the Solution. To improve your brand there can be two effective solutions.
- Improving the performance of the brand to reach higher order emotional connection with consumers.
- Improving a product by understanding consumers need more intensely.
To capture the market, create amazing buzz for your brand, deliver quality and create a superior consumer experience. The best possible way is by planning a Digital Marketing Strategy for your brand and clearing your Branding Concepts.